History of Lynchburg, Tennessee
Early settlers of Moore County migrated from North Carolina in search of new land and new opportunities. The county was formed from parts of Lincoln, Franklin, Coffee, and Bedford counties in 1872 and was named in honor of General William Moore, who was an early settler of Lincoln County and a veteran of the War of 1812. He also served for several terms in the Tennessee General Assembly.
There are residents of Moore County who well remember a simpler life in times past where life was truly a lot slower. There were one and two room school houses at Lois, Hurdlow, Marble Hill, Raysville, County Line, Pleasant Hill, Buckeye, and Charity and life was tied to these country schools and about the teachers who sometimes earned $50 per month and paid room and board out of that. Teachers taught a good basic education without typewriters, video cameras, computers, television, and air conditioning. Buildings were heated with coal-fired stoves, and water was usually provided from hand-dug wells.
People lived on small farms without electricity, running water and indoor plumbing. They milked cows, raised tobacco, beef, chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and turkeys. Every farm had a vegetable garden and an orchard for fruit. There was no Kroger's, Bi Lo, Food Lion, or large grocery stores. Country stores stocked groceries, dry goods and hardware. Farmers bought coffee, sugar, salt, and ice came in 100 pound blocks packed in sawdust at the country store. Nearly everyone raised tobacco.
By the 1940's there were over 600 tobacco allotments in Moore County, mostly one-half to one-acre bases. The sale of tobacco in the fall provided money for Christmas, clothes for the family and payment of debts accumulated during the year. The sale of milk was about the only other source of cash income. Corn was raised on hillsides plowed with turning plows pulled by mules or horses. In mild weather farmers sometimes plowed in January and February.
Church and school provided the major interests. Most people went to Church. Families had everyday and "Sunday clothes" and after attending Church people changed into everyday clothes. There was little money, but some folks had a Ford or Chevrolet. There were few paved roads, and most people traveled by horseback, buggy, or wagon. Employment other than on the farm was as storekeepers, blacksmiths, and gristmill operators. Crime was almost non-existent.
History of Moore County Courthouse
The Moore County Courthouse, the center of activity on the square in Lynchburg, has remained unchanged throughout the years, serenely observing the passing of time with dignity and grace. Built in 1885, at a cost of $6875, the courthouse celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1985. On June 3, 1872, the first Moore County Quarterly Court meeting in Moore County was held at the Tolley and Eaton building in Lynchburg. Old records show that this was where the meetings were held, but no one has determined exactly where this building was located. On July 8, 1872, a committee was formed to find grounds to build the courthouse and jail, measuring two acres and ten poles. Land was purchased from a Colonel Hughes, and the next year part of it was rented back to him to plant corn. R. B. Parks, John E. Bobo, and W.D.L. Record were appointed to supervise construction of the courthouse and on April 6, 1885 reported that the work was well done and congratulated the county for having the neatest, most convenient, and the cheapest courthouse in the state. The people of Lynchburg made all the bricks for the courthouse locally. The courthouse lawn was originally larger but was moved back to widen the street. Overlooking the courtroom is a reminder of times past is a photograph of Albert S. Marks, the first Chancellor of Moore County in 1872. Marks went on to become governor of the state in 1879. Although generally associated with solemn strength, the courthouse has known moments of humor. It has dealt with loose hogs and chickens under the floorboards. Gradually it overcame these problems and became a center of justice and order and a place where citizens could conduct business with their county government. The courthouse has also known drama such as the murder trial of Hershal Scott, the town Marshall, who shot and killed Jim Silvertooth in 1918. He was eventually acquitted because of provocation.
In 1927 a monument of the Confederate soldiers of Moore County was erected on the courthouse lawn. The people of Moore County were proud of the men who served in the Confederate Army. In 1968 the courthouse was enlarged and renovated. Thirty-eight by 38 sections were added to either side of the courthouse with brick from Shelbyville to match the existing building. The courthouse has changed relatively little throughout the years and is expected to remain an elegant reminder of the past and a work place for the future.
History of Moore County
MOORE COUNTY lies in the south central portion of Tennessee, and is bounded on the north by Bedford, east by Coffee, south by Franklin, and west by Lincoln. It contains about 170 square miles, and its surface is greatly diversified. About one-half the county lies on the Highland Rim, and the remainder in the Central Basin. The eastern portion has a high, flat, slightly-rolling surf ace, known as the " barrens, " which breaks off to the south and west into ridges and ravines, some of the latter having a depth of 300 to 400 feet. These ridges are spurs that shoot out into the valley of the Elk and Mulberry tributaries, the valleys constituting a part of the broken southern division Central Basin that is partially cut off by Elk Ridge. These ridges are very fertile. They are composed mainly of the Nashville limestone, upon which rests the black shale or Devonian, and upon this shale rests as a protecting rock, the siliceous layers of the barren group, which is characteristic of the barren portion of the Highland Rim. Marble of a fair quality is found in the county.
The eastern portion, known as the "barrens," is covered mostly with a light growth of scrubby oak timber, and the soil has a whitish clay surface, with a porous, leachy subsoil, and is very sterile, except for the cultivation of fruits and tobacco. Elk Ridge is very fertile, and almost as productive as the best valley lands. It is heavily timbered with poplar, oak, chestnut, walnut, sugar, linden and locust. The valleys of the Elk, Hurricane, Mulberry and their tributaries, have a rich alluvial soil, which is very productive. The staple crops of the county are wheat, corn, rye and oats. Blue grass is indigenous to the soil. Clover, timothy and most other grasses yield bountifully with proper cultivation. Stock raising is carried on to some extent, and the county, with its numerous springs, is well adapted to dairy farming, which however is not carried on to any considerable extent. The farms are not in as high a state of cultivation as they are capable of being brought. A good turnpike road leading from Shelbyville to Fayetteville passes directly through the county, via County Line and Lynchburg. The county is high, healthy, and well drained. It has no swamps to contaminate its atmosphere with malarial poison.
The first settlements in the territory now composing Moore County were made near the beginning of the present century, when bears, wolves, deers, and all kinds of game were abundant. Just when and by whom the first actual settlement was made cannot be stated, but the names of a considerable number of the earliest settlers can be given. William B. Prosser came from North Carolina and settled in this County in 1806, and William Spencer came in 1808. Isaac Forrester, born in South Carolina in 1790, settled here prior to the war of 1812, in which he participated. In 1816 he married Miss Matilda Hodges, and both are yet living. They are the parents of fourteen children, eleven of whom are still living. They have had eighty-nine grandchildren, sixty-nine of whom are living, and they have had nearly seventy great-grandchildren, sixty of whom are living, and two great-great-grandchildren, both living. A remarkable family-certainly they have obeyed the Scriptural injunction "Be ye fruitful, multiply, etc."
A Mrs. Wiseman, who was also born in 1790, is still living in this county. Frederick Waggoner and family settled in the county before the war of 1812, in which he participated in the battle of the Horse Shoe Bend. Woodey B. Ttylor and his wife, Nancy (Seay) Taylor, parents of John H. Taylor (Uncle Jack as he was familiarly called), came from Georgia with their family in 1809, and settled on East Mulberry, about two miles below the site of Lynchburg. There was only one house then between their settlement and Lynchburg, and that one was at the place now owned by Mrs. B. H. Berry. At that time there were only two log-cabins in Lynchburg, one where Dr. Salmon now lives, and the other at Mrs. Alfred Eaton's place; Mr. Joel Crane then lived in the former. The same year, 1809, Andrew Walker came from South Carolina, and settled upon and mostly cleared the farm, and soon thereafter erected the house where Smith Alexander now lives. Samuel Isaacs then lived on the Jack Daniel's farm, and Daniel Holman lived in the next house down the valley. Anthony and Thomas Crawford, James Clark and Champion Bly were then living near Lynchburg. Mrs. Agnes Motlow, widow of a soldier of the war of the Revolution, settled in this county in 1809 or 1810, with her five sons, Zadoch, William, James, John and Felix, and two daughters, Elizabeth, who married Andrew Walker, of whom mention has been made, and Lauriet, who married Mr. ---- Massey. The Motlow family in this part of the State originated from the above ancestors. Reuben Logan settled here soon after l800, and had many successful encounters with the wild animals. He killed many bears and deers, and was a soldier in the war of 1812.
James Cox and Mary, his wife, were among the first children born within the limits of Moore County. Dempsey Sullivan and Naomi, his wife, were born in this county in 1811 and 1812, respectively.
Michael Tipps settled in the county in 1813. His wife, nee Leah Scivally, was born here in 1810, and she is still living. Thomas H. Shaw, father of Elder Shaw, born at Perryville, Ky., in 1798, settled in this county before the war of 1812, in which he was a soldier under Gen. Jackson. He married a daughter of Thomas Roundtree, and was a magistrate for many years, and died in 1872. In 1815, James P. Baxter and family settled on where John F. Taylor now resides. He was a county surveyor thirty-three years, and was a member of the commission to locate the Creek Indians. John F. Baxter was born in 1827, on the farm where he has always resided and still resides, without ever having been away from home seven days at a time. James S. Ervin settled in the county in 1816, and Martin L. Parks in 1818. The latter was an officer in the war of 1812. About 1812, a Mr. Brown and others erected the first grist mill in the count y near where Jack Daniels' distillery now stands. Soon thereafter a distillery was established there, as probably the first one in the county.
The first cotton-gin was erected near the same place in about 1818. Thomas Roundtree built the cotton-mill on the creek at Lynchburg, about the year 1820. At this time there was a cotton-gin and cotton-mill on East Mulberry Creek near the county line, owned by Levi Roberts. The grist-mill and cotton-gin at Lynchburg, was then operated by Wm. P. Long. A large tannery was also in operation at Lynchburg about this time. A Mr. McJimsey is said to have opened the first store in Lynchburg some time prior to 1820, at which time Wm. P. Long kept a general store in the same place. Barnes Clark, and, Wm. Howard, Wm. Bedford Mr. ____ Bird and Wm. Burdge were all among the earliest settlers in the county, and the three latter were among the pioneer school-teachers. For a number of years after the first settlements were made, and before local mills were the people had to go all the way to Murfreesboro and to Mill Creek, near Nashville, to get their grinding done. John Guthrie with his family settled near the site of Dance & Waggoner's mill in 1820, and lived there until his death. Wm. Tolley, whose death occurred in 1884, settled in this county in 1825. Samuel Edens and his family were living at Lynchburg at that time. Stephen M. Dance and family settled in 1826, on the farm where Dance now resides. Joseph Call and Rebecca, his Wife, settled in 1834, on a farm in the present District No. 6, where he died in 1842. Mrs. Call subsequently had three husbands and outlived all of them, and died in 1850, in this county.
Davie Crockett, the great pioneer hunter and adventurer, resided for a time on of the East Mulberry in this county. Moses Crawford came to this county in 1809 and lived at or near Lynchburg, and attended the "sale of lots when the town was laid off in lots and sold." The valleys were then covered with cane-brakes. The Falcon of March 20, 1885, published a letter from Mr. Crawford dated at Grand Island, Neb., where he then resided. This letter refers to the early settlement of this county, and especially the great earthquake shock so sensibly felt here in 1811. He says, "The prevalent idea was, judgment .is knocking at the door. The earth reeled as a drunken man. Mercy was sought and pardon found in many eases. * * * Preaching every four weeks at my father's house. Rev. Adams, of Flat Creek, was minister or pastor in charge. My father and mother were old members of said church for years before. People came from far to bear the Scripture propounded. The ministers were Adams, Hardy, and Whittaker. The addition to the church was large every Sabbath. There were none but Baptists in this neck of woods. They used to take the applicant for baptism to the ford, singing as they went. The place for immersion was near where Roundtree built his dam across Mulberry. Revivals stopped and drinking liquor began. I think I knew some of your ancestors. Two brothers by the name of Parks came there some time between 1815 and 1820, 1 think with, Smiths. Time rolled on and rolled them off. I soon shall follow."
Crawford then says "that after the war of 1812 closed, a clan of' thieves was found in and about the present town of Lvnchburg. And that in the neighborhood of Barnes Clark, a blacksmith three or four miles southeast of Lynchburg, stealing was as going to church. A member of this clan by the name of Woods, or something else, was lynched till he told of or showed the cave or warehouse of stolen goods. Old Hickory Jackson permitted the shooting of John Woods and a brother for stealing."
About this time it, seems there were no laws in force hero for the suppression of crime, and consequently the good people organized themselves into vigilance committees, and took the administration of justice into their own hands and "Judge Lynch" presided at their meetings. They selected the large beech tree which stood over the spring, afterward known as the town spring of Lynchburg, for a whipping post, and after arresting offenders and becoming satisfied of their guilt, tied them to this tree and authorized some one to administer the whipping, which was generally very severe. Uncle Jack Taylor says he saw about twenty persons whipped at that famous tree, and three others at another tree, near which he now resides. In this way public offenders were punished for all kinds of crime until the courts were established, and the civil authorities sufficiently empowered to enforce the laws for the protection of society, the noted lynching tree stood until about the year 1880.
Like most rural counties Moore's industries have been limited principally to agriculture. Manufacturing, except in the article of whisky, has never been developed to any considerable extent. A few grist mills and saw-mills, sufficient for the accommodation of the people, have been erected and operated. The manufacture of whisky has been extensive. In addition to what has already been mentioned, Samuel Isaacs and John Silvertooth erected a distillery on the German branch of East Mulberry, one and a half miles below Lynchburg, in about 1825; and near the same time another was erected by Mr. Isaacs, three miles below town.
Alfred Eaton erected a distillery in an early day, about two miles below Lynchburg. Calvin Stone erected one on West Mulberry in 1852. As the country improved numerous distilleries were constructed and operated, from time to time, in the territory composing the county. There are now fifteen registered distilleries in Moore County. Tolley & Eaton's, established in 1877, at County Line, is said to be the largest sour mash distillery in the State. It has a capacity of 98 bushels of corn and 300 gallons of spirits per day. It is all run by machinery. Jack Daniels', the next in size, was built in 1876, at the Cave Spring, at Lynchburg, where, it is claimed, the first one in the county was erected. The capacity of this distillery is 50 bushels of corn and 150 gallons of spirits per day. The other thirteen distilleries have an average capacity of 23 bushels of corn and 70 gallons of spirits per day. Then, when all are running, they will grind 447 bushels of corn per day and produce about 1,360 gallons of whisky. This is an immense industry. Suppose these fifteen distilleries to run their full capacity for six months, or 156 days, in the year, they would manufacture the immense amount of 202,160 gallons, or. 5,054 barrels, of 40 gallons each; which, at $2 per gallon, would amount to the sum of $404,320. When these distilleries are running they consume, at an advanced price, all the surplus corn that the farmers can raise. They also consume thousands of cords of wood annually. They thus make for their farmers a home market for their grain and wood; and the revenue to the people of the county for the corn, wood and whisky is immense. The whisky manufactured here is known in commerce as Lincoln County Whisky, and is among the best manufactured in the United States. The capital employed in this branch of industry is said to pay 20 per cent. The manufacture of domestic goods is carried on, in the families, to a great extent.
The lands of the country are rich and productive, teeming with thousands of horses, mules, cattle, sheep and hogs. All kinds of grain, fruit and vegetables can be raised in great profusion. All kinds of grass, clover and millet grow to perfection. The highlands of the eastern part are especially adapted to the production of grape. The people are cordial and hospitable--primitive in their habits, and manufacture and wear a great deal of home-made clothing.
The county of Moore was organized in accordance with an act of the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee, entitled "An act to establish a new county out of portions of the territory of Lincoln, Franklin, Coffee and Bedford Counties, to be called the county of Moore, in honor of the late Gen. William Moore, of Tullahoma, Tenn., one of the early settlers of Lincoln County, Tenn., a soldier of the war of 1812, and for many years a member of the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee," passed December 14, 1871.
The act provided that the county should be bounded by a line described therein. And for the purpose of organizing the county, the following commissioners were appointed by said act, to wit: Berry Prosser, Lewis Morgan, J. B. Thompson, John D. Tolley, H. H. Smith, William Copeland, J. E. Spencer and S. J. Green, of the county of Lincoln; C. T. Shiver, A. J. Simpson, Goodwin Miller and Harvey Farris, of the county of Franklin; James 0. Aydelotte, Mike Campbell, Thomas Colley and S. J. MeLemore, of the county of Coffee; William Smith, W. P. Bobo and John Sullivan, of the county of Bedford; who, before entering upon their duties, should take an oath to faithfully and impartially discharge the same as such commissioners. And to ascertain the will of the people of the fractions of the old counties out of which the new county was to be composed, said commissioners were to cause elections to be held at as early a day as practicable in each of the fractions of the old counties to be included in the new one. And if the requisite constitutional majority was found to be in favor of the new county, the said commissioners were to complete the organization in accordance with the provisions of the act.
The act provided that said commissioners should have power to make any change in the lines of said county, if found necessary, so as to conform with the requirements of the constitution of the State--i.e., that none of the old counties out of which the new one was to be formed should be reduced below 500 square miles; and that they should cause an actual survey of the county to be made, and an actual enumeration of the qualified voters in the limits of said county to be taken, to ascertain if said new county contained 275 square miles, and 700 qualified voters. Accordingly, on January 6, 1872, said commissioners met at Lynchburg and organized by electing A. J. Simpson chairman and John D. Tolley secretary, and at once employed J. B. Thomison and R. F. Darnoby to survey the boundary line of the new county, to begin at 12 o'clock M., on Monday January 8, 1872, at or near Rev. J. W. Holman's place, on the Mulberry & Lynchburg Turnpike. The commissioners then adjourned until the 23d day of January, when a plat of the survey of said county was presented to them by said surveyors. The plat was accepted, and the surveyors ordered to make a full and complete written report of the survey, which they afterward did.
Three hundred and forty-one square miles were found to be included in this survey. Subsequently the commissioners learned that Coffee County contained less than 500 square miles, and consequently no portion of it could be attached to the new county. By this survey the county line was run eleven miles from the county seats of Bedford, Lincoln and Franklin Counties by. surface measurement. This was not satisfactory to Lincoln and Franklin Counties, consequently each brought suit against Moore County to reclaim their lost territory. The matter was fully litigated in the Lincoln County Chancery Court, and finally decided that the line of Moore County should be established eleven miles, on a straight air line, from the county seats of the old counties from which it was composed. This made a new survey necessary between this county and both Lincoln and Franklin Counties. Bedford County brought no suit to enforce this "straight line rule," but allowed the line to stand as originally surveyed. This very materially reduced the county in size, so that it now contains only about 270 square miles, or about seventy-one square miles less than the original survey included.
On Saturday, April 13, 1872, elections were held in each of the fractions of the old counties to be included in the new, to ascertain the will of the people on the formation of a new county, and the votes cast were as follows: In fraction of Lincoln County for new county, 799; for old county, 51. In fraction of Bedford County, for new county, 59; for old county, none. In fraction of Franklin County, for new county, 284; for old county, 6. The requisite number of two-thirds having voted in favor of the new county, the county of Moore became established, and it only remained to perfect its organization. The commissioners then appointed Wm. Tolley, M. Spencer, Berrv Leftwick, G. W. Byrom and F. T. Davis to divide the county into civil districts. The subdivision was made and the districts formed and named as follows: Lynchburg, Ridgeville, Marble Hill, Reed's Store, Tucker Creek, Wagoner's, Prosser's Store, Charity, County Line, Hurricane Church and Wm. B. Smith's mill. The districts were numbered in the order named, from one to eleven. The commissioners then ordered an election to be held on Saturday, May 11, 1872, for the purpose of electing county officers. Accordingly elections were held in each of the several districts, and the following officers duly elected: John A. Norman, sheriff; James W. Byrom, county court clerk; W. R. Waggoner, circuit court clerk; John A. Silvertooth, trustee; E. F. Brown, register; W. J. Taylor, tax collector. Magistrates, J. D. Tolley, J. W. Martin, B. F. Womach, A. J. Simpson, G. W. Byrom, C. H. Bean, A. C. Cobble, J. E. Spencer, R. L. Gillespie, Wm. Copeland, John Swinney, John L. Ashby, T. G. Miller, D. J. Noblet, A. M. Prosser, J. A. Prosser, L. Leftwich, Samuel Bobo, T. J. Baxter, J. L. Holt, J. M. Byrom, J. W. Eggleston and J. J. Burt. These magistrates elect assembled on the third day of June, 1872, at the house of Tolley & Eaton in Lynchburg, and organized and held the first county court ever held in the county, They organized the court by electing A. J. Simpson, chaiman, and John D. Tolley & D. J. Nobblett, associates. At this term the court ordered an election to be held in the several districts of the county on the first Saturday of July, 1872, to determine where the people desired to have the county seat located. The elections were accordingly held, and out of 499 votes cast, 465 were in favor of Lynchburg as the county seat.
The court then appointed a committee of one from each district to select suitable grounds for a jail and jailer's house, and a public square for a court house site. This committee selected a plat of ground 300 feet square on Mechanic Street for a public square, and a tract of one acre belonging to E. Y. Salmon, and lying across the creek, between the town and Parks' tan-yard. The Public Square was located by the court, as reported, and title acquired thereto by donation from the owners. The tract for the jail was purchased of Dr. Salmon, for $100. Before building the jail, the court decided that this lot was not suitable and convenient, and thereupon sold it at public outcry for $10, and at the August term, 1875, the court bought the present jail lot of Col. J. M. Hughes for $200. A committee, consisting of M. L. McDowell, A. C. Cobble, J. E. Spencer, B. F. Womack and J. L. Holt, was then appointed to let the contract for the building of a jail and jailer's house. The contract was awarded June 7, 1875, to Bobo & Stegall for $2,550, the building to be completed by the first Monday in October of the same year. At the January term, 1876, of the county court, the committee reported that the jail and jailer's house had been completed according to the contract, it was accepted and the committee discharged. The jail has two cells, 8x8 feet, made of heavy oak timber, and large nails driven in almost every square inch. It is a very safe jail. The house is in the shape of an L, the front consisting of two nice rooms for jailer's residence. It is situated on the lot bought of Col. Hughes, nearly opposite the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a very neat and comfortable building.
On the 8th of January, 1884, the county court appointed a committee to select and secure a new location for a public square. And in July of the same year the committee reported that they had deeded the square on Mechanic Street back to its former owners, and secured title to the Public Square where the court house now stands. Their action was approved, and a building committee, consisting of R. B. Parks, John E. Bobo and W. D. L. Record, was then appointed, with instructions for the construction of a court house. This committee awarded the contract to S. L. P Garrett. And at the April term, 1885, they reported that the house was completed according to contract, and that they had paid the contractor $200 for extra work over and above the original contract. Thus making the total cost of the court house $6,875. The building was accepted by the court and the committee discharged. The court house is a very substantial two-story brick structure, 40x60 feet, with the county offices on the first floor, and the court rooms on the second. The people of the county are very fortunate in having good and sufficient county buildings. The county has no asylum for the poor. The latter are provided for by appropriations from the public treasury, by authority of the county court.
The sessions of the courts were first held in Tollev & Eaton's Hall; then the county bought the Christian Church, which stood on Main Street, on the east side of the Public Square. The courts were held in this church building until it burned down in December, 1883, after which the sessions were held in the schoolhouse on Mechanic Street until the court house was completed. The following is a list of the county officers and the time served by each:
County court clerks--James W. Byrom, the present incumbent, was elected at the first election, which was in 1872, and has been re-elected and held the office continuously ever since. This shows the high estimation in which he is held by the people. Circuit court clerks--W. R. Waggoner, 1872-74; Dr. W. D. Frost, 1874-78; J. A. Norman, 1878 to June, 1880, when he died; then B. H. Berry was appointed to fill vacancy. H. H. Neece, 1880 to present time. Sheriffs--J. A. Norman, 1872-78; H. S. Hudson, 1878--80; A. J. Travis, 1880-82; J. S. Hobbs, present incumbent, 1881. Registers--E. F. Brown, 1872-74, M. G. Osborn, 1874-82; J. R. Brown, present incumbent, 1882. Tax collectors--W. J. Taylor 872-74; E. F. Brown, 1874-76; J. A. Silvertooth (the trustee), 1876-82; B. E. Spencer (trustee), 1882. Trustees--J. A. Silvertooth, 1872-82; B. E. Spencer, the present incumbent, 1882. Clerk and master--Dr. E. Y. Salmon, 1870; W. A. Frost, 1880-84; R. B. Parks, present incumbent, 1884 to ____. Coroner-R. C. Hall, 1872-73; H. B. Morgan, present incumbent, 1873 to ____.
The following table shows the amount of taxes charged on the tax duplicates for the several years since the organization of the county. for county purposes, and the total amount charged for all purposes:
Year. County. Total.
1872 $3,863.29 7,726.59
1873 5,022.17 13,307.68
1874 2,953.20 11,265.81
1875 3,091.55 10,852.87
1876 1,984.36 8,962.91
1877 2,158.48 6,410.10
1878 2,358.97 6,057.07
1879 2,215.88 5,940.79
1880 2,461.13 6,131.12
1881 2,864 03 8,088.53
1882 2,418.30 6,684.89
1883 2,938.35 8,654.74
1884 3,458.63 9,393.21
1885 3,946.82 8,685.02
The indebtedness of the county for current expenses is about $1,000, and for balance due for the court house $1,431. The levy on the duplicate of 1886 will be about sufficient to liquidate the latter, thus leaving the county in a very good financial condition,
Prior to the year 1882 the general elections in the territory composing the county, for State and National purposes, were controlled by the old counties, the same as though Moore County had never been organized. In 1882, after the census of 1880 had been published, and Moore County was recognized in redistricting the State, it held its first election for officers of the legislature. At the presidential election in 1884, the vote in the county stood as follow: For Cleveland, 906; Blaine, 53; St. John, 5; Butler, 5.
According to the census of 1880 Moore County contained the following number of inhabitants: White males, 2,766; white females, 2,691; colored males, 376; colored females, 355. Total white, 5,457; total colored, 731. Grand total, 6,188.
The county court is composed of the several civil magistrates of the several civil districts of the county, and is presided over by one of their number, whom they elect as a chairman. The county court clerk and the sheriff are officers of this court. The court meets in quarterly sessions the first Mondays of January, April, July and October. Quorum courts convene on the first Mondays of each month. For the organization of this court and a sketch of its proceedings, the reader is referred to the organization of the county, in which its history is interwoven.
The first term of the circuit court was held in the room used for court purposes in Lynchburg, beginning on the third Monday of June, 1872, the time fixed by act of the General Assembly of the State. W. P. Hickerson, judge in the Sixth Judicial District, of which Moore County forms a part, presided. The court was opened by proclamation made by J. A. Norman, sheriff. Whereupon W. R. Waggoner, clerk-elect, produced to the court his certificate of election and filed his bonds as required by law, and was duly sworn into office. J. W. Byrom, clerk of the county court, then officially certified the names of twenty-four "householders and freeholders" of the county, appointed by said county court at its June term, 1872, out of which the circuit court should select a grand jury. And out of the number so certified the following named persons were selected as the first grand jury of Moore County, viz.: J. T. Motlow, J. H. Taylor, B. F. Womach, Jacob Tipps, J. E. Spencer, J. W. Franklin, Wm. Tolley, J. L. Ashby, A. M. Prosser, P. G. Prosser, J. M. Byrom, J. J. Burt and J. F. Leach. Wm. Tolley was made foreman. H.S. Hudson and Wm. Cooper were appointed constables to wait upon the court. W. H. Allen and E. S. N. Bobo each presented his license as an attorney at law, and was admitted to the bar. The first cause of action in this court was Pique, Manier and Hall vs. John Read, to recover a judgment of $249.15 rendered by F. P. Fulton, a justice of the peace. The case was tried, and the court decreed that the land of the defendant be sold to satisfy the said judgment and costs. The grand jury, after having retired to inquire into "indictable offenses," etc., returned into court an indictment against Jeff Berry (colored) for assault, and four presentments against other offenders, to wit, Calvin Shofner, James Simpson, Daniel Downing and Hiles Blythe, for "carrying pistols." And thus ended the business of the first term of the circuit court.
At the next term, the court ordered that the first Monday of each term be fixed "as State's day for the county." Jeff Berry, colored, was then tried for assault by the first petit jury of "good and lawful men of the county," viz.: J. D. Smith, Wm. Richardson, W. A. Hobbs, A. C. Cobble, N. Boone, K. J. Bobo, E. J. Chambers, John N. Morehead, Will. Copeland, Wm. Waller, Henderson Gilbert, and Walter Holt. The defendant was found guilty, and fined $5 and costs.
At this term, T. P. Flack, who professed to be an attorney at law, was arraigned for larceny. The attorney-general, being related to him, declined to prosecute, whereupon the court appointed Hon. W. D. L. Record attorney-general pro tem. to prosecute the defendant. Wricketts was then arraigned and tried for "horse stealing and larceny." He was found guilty, and was sentenced to jail and penitentiary for five years. At the February term, 1873, of this court, the grand jury found a true bill against Wesley Speck for the murder of John Jean. The defendant was tried, found guilty, and sentenced to twenty years in the penitentiary. An appeal was taken to the supreme court, where the sentence was affirmed. After serving for a few years the defendant was released by executive clemency. At the February term, 1885, Jordan Whitaker, colored, was tried for the murder of John Kiser, colored. The jury found the prisoner "guilty of murder in the first degree, with mitigating circumstances," and fixed his penalty at imprisonment in the penitentiary for life. Whereupon the attorney-general, A. B. Woodard, and Judge Williams joined in suggesting to the governor that sentence ought to be commuted to twenty years Instead of for life. Also at this term James Silvertooth, marshal of the town of Lynchburg, was indicted for the murder of Bird Millsap. He asked for and obtained a change of venue to the Lincoln County Circuit Court, where he was tried and acquitted, on the ground that he committed the act in self-defense. These are the principal criminal cases that have been brought in this court.
In the year 1875 there were 87 prosecutions for carrying pistols, 8 for assault and battery, and 7 for disturbing public meetings. In 1885, ten years later, there were 21 prosecutions for carrying pistols, 5 for assault and battery, and 3 for disturbing public meetings; thus showing that crime is on the decrease. Judge W. P. Hickerson presided over this court, either in person or by proxy, from its organization up to and including Its October term, 1877, and Judge J. J. Williams, the present incumbent, has presided over it since.
The first term of the chancery court was held in the court room at Lynchburg. Beginning on the fourth Monday of July, 1872, with Hon. A. S. Marks, chancellor, presiding. The court was opened in due form by Sheriff John A. Norman. Dr. E. Y. Salmon was appointed clerk and master, and filed his bond, to "safely keep the records of said office and faithfully (discharge the duties thereof," and took the oath of office. He also filed a bond to faithfully collect and, account for fines, taxes, etc., and another as special commissioner and receiver. There being no other business the court adjourned to "term in course.
At the next term of this court William Thomison and others filed a petition for a turnpike road from Lynchurg to Prosser and Sullivan's store, in Moore County, a distance of about six miles. A number of the petitioners were then named and appointed a body politic and corporate, by name of The Lynchburg & West Mulberry Turnpike Company. The capital stock was divided into shares of $95 each. At this term, December, 1872, the charter of the town of Lynchburg was amended so as to enlarge its power and immunities. The first case brought in this court was "Lewis Newson vs. Mollie Neece and others." At the October term, 1873, E. S. N. Bobo, the county superintendent filed his report of the formation of school districts for Moore County, numbering them from one to eleven; and the court declared each one an incorporated town, with all the privilege conferred thereupon by law. At the June term, 1877, the members of the bar and visiting attorneys held a meeting, and passed resolutions of condolence upon the death of Hon. Abe Frizzell, a member of the Moore County bar, who died June 17, 1877. The first resolution reads as follows: " That in the death of Abe Frizzell this bar and community have lost a member, who in generosity of nature, kindness of heart, and charitable conduct was without an equal, and one who loved his neighbor better than himself. That while he had faults, they were so far outweighed by his many distinguished virtues, that the first are lost in the splendor of the last." Judge Marks served as chancellor of this court from its organization to the close of the June term, 1878. And from time to the close of the October term, 1883, Judge J. W. Burton served as chancellor. And since then Hon. E. D. Hancock, the present chancellor has officiated. R. B. Parks, the present obliging clerk and master was appointed in 1884.
Hon. Abe Frizzell was a member of the bar from the organization of the county until his death, in 1877. He was an able lawyer and fine businessman. The following attorneys were all members of the bar at the organization of the county: W. A. Cole, a young and studious lawyer, who moved to Alabama some years ago; E. S. N. Bobo, who practiced until 1880, and then went into other business; W. H. Allen, who practiced only a short time; James M. Travis, who practiced a few years, and J. T. Galbreth, likewise; R. A. Parks, who now edits and publishes the Lynchburg Falcon, joined the bar soon after its organization, and has practiced ever since; W. D. L. Record joined the bar at its inception, and has been a constant practitioner ever since; R. E. L. Montcastle, a young and energetic attorney, joined the bar in 1885. The latter three are now the only resident attorneys.
The citizens of the territory composing Moore County have contributed their full share of soldiers to fight the battles of their country. A few of the early settlers were survivors of the war of the Revolution, and some of them served in the struggle of 1812, but it is impossible now to obtain an account of their names and services. A few survivors of the Mexican and Florida wars still reside within the county. Public excitement ran very high here at the outbreak of the late civil war. Public meetings were held at Lynchburg, and at other points throughout the county, and were addressed by Hon. Peter Turney and others, and the people were almost unanimously in favor of a Southern Confederacy.
The first company to enter the service was Company E, of the First Tennessee Confederate Infantry. This company was raised at Lynchburg in March, 1861, and joined its regiment at Winchester in the next month. The following is a list of the officers and privates who were mustered into the service, together with the recruits: Officers--Dr. E. Y. Salmon, captain; T. H. Mann, first lieutenant; C. W. Lucas, second lieutenant; W. F. Taylor, third lieutenant; W. P. Tolley, first sergeant; J. P. Edde, second sergeants T. H. Parks, third sergeant; J. N. Taylor, fourth sergeant; M. C. Parks, first corporal. J. H. Silvertooth, second corporal; A. W. Womack, third corporal; F. W. Motlow, fourth corporal; W. B. Taylor, ensign. Killed--Lieut. T. H. Mann, Sergt. J. P. Edde, Corp. J. H. Silvertooth, and Privates William T. K. Green, B. W. Shaw, B. R. Bobo, T. E. Brown, J. J. Lucas, J. W. Stockstill, John McCulley, W. M. Jones, W. A. Dillingliam, J. F Metcalf, J. T Hunter, C. M. Wade, William F. Morris, F. G. Motlow. Clay Hoskins and J. S. Green. Wounded--Lieut. W. F. Taylor, Sergt. W. P. Tolley, Sergt. J. N. Taylor and Privates M. L. Parks, A. F. Eaton, B. H. Berry, R. H. Crawford, O. J. Bailey, S. W. Edens, W. H. Hutchenson. George Jones, T. C. Spencer, T. D. Gregory, B. A. W. I., Norton, J. H. Brandon, M. A. L. Enochs, John Gray, and Alex. Bailey. Ensign W. B. Taylor and Private M. V. Hawkins each lost an arm, and Private Joseph S. Hobbs lost a leg. Died--Corp. A. W. Womack, Privates John W. Brown, W. C. Kirtland, W. H. Waggoner, David Roberson, W. A. Strawn, J. C. C. Felps, John R. Cates, F. D. Bedford, J. C. Jenkins, William F. Scivally, John D. Hinkle, F. A. Thurman, and Olla Overby.
The following are those who passed through the war without being wounded: Capt. E. Y. Salmon, Lieuts. C. W. Lucas, and A. F. Eaton, Sergt. T. H. Parks, Corp. M. C. Parks, Corp. F. W. Motlow, T. J. Allison, M. L. Parks, Jr., T. J. Eaton, C. D. Williams, Z. Motlow, J. K. Bobo, Anderson Edens, A. H. Parks, S. E. H. Dance, C. W. Felps, T. A. Chapman, J. M. Rhoton, F. P. Brown, W. C. Jones J. R. Strawn, J. S. Hubbard, W. M. Miles, W. A. Parks, J. W. Robinson, J. P. Rives, J. S. Kirtland, Joseph Miles, J. R. Mullins, Jacob Mullins, Williiam M. Cowan, M. R. Cobbs, J. M. Shaw, W. M. Pearce, S. C. Tucker, James H. Holman, W. B. Daniel, F. Motlow, William M. Banks, Frank Edens, Sanford Stewart.
Officers after reorganization were W. P. Tolley, captain; T. H. Mann, first lieutenant: O. J. Bailey, second lieutenant; A. F. Eaton, third lieutenant. Capt. Tolley was wounded and retired, and Lieut. Mann was promoted to the captaincy, and at his death Lieut. Bailey was promoted to the captaincy and held it to the close of the war. Lieut. Lucas resigned during the first year of the war, and his place was filled by the election of Private A. H. Parks.
Company D, First Tennessee, Confederate States Army, was organized at Ridgeville in March, 1861, and joined its regiment at Winchester the next month. Its captain, N. L. Simpson, died during the war, and John Bevel then became captain. First lieutenant ____ Awalt; lieutenants, William Davis, Thomas Baggett, Nat Norvell; Tuck Hill, Thomas Davis, Allen Pogue, Jacob Mitchell, Ben George, Henry Driver, Giles Powers and Thomas Taylor were among the killed in the service. Capt. John Bevel, Lieut. H. J . Byrom, Alex Reedy, John Clark, were among the wounded. J. W. Byrom lost left hand. R. H. Anthony, William Lewis and Isaac Mitchell each lost a leg. Thomas Reedy. John Clark, wounded; ____ Tribble, Olla Overby and Ezekiel Shasteen died in the service. Lieuts. John Tribble and Monroe Farris, and Privates Thomas Rogers, James Allen, Thomas Anderson, Tobe Anderson, Milt. Byrom, James Bailey, R. S. Anthony, Rev. William Anthony, chaplain of the regiment, L. A. Rogers, Larkin Rogers, Benjamin Shasteen, H. W. Farris, Joseph Pogue, George Sanders, William Fanning, Wes. Fanning, Watch Cook, William Jones, Dick Jones, James A. Sanders, A. A. Davis, E. J. Chambers, Henry McGivens, G. Raney, W. Weaver, George Weaver, Ben Hutton, James Hutton, E. Brown. Toliver Hendricks, John Hendricks, Turner Childs, Dr. ____ Childs, R. A. Overby, H. C. Bolen, Joseph Bolin, ____ Smith, John McKinzie, John Strong, John Cobble, William and Robert Majors, H. Pilot and Gabriel Lewis--all are supposed to have served to the close of the war. The information concerning this company were given by county court clerk, J. W. Byrom, who gave it to the best of his recollection.
Company H, Eighth Tennessee Confederate States Army, was raised by Capt. William L. Moore from this and adjoining counties, and consisted of 104 men. When the regiment was organized Capt. Moore was elected lieutenant-colonel, and William J. Thrash, was made captain of the company. The company was organized with its regiment at Camp Trousdale, in Sumner County, May 29, 1861. The following named persons enlisted from what is now Moore County: Benjamin Morgan, Frank Johnson, Lieut. J. G. Call, W. L. Davidson, W. H. Martin, Joseph Stacy, P. Y. Mitchell, Alexander Brady and John Reese, all of whom were killed in the service. And L. A. Farrer, W. J. Taylor, Nat. S. Forrester, Lieut. John Sullivan, Berry Leftwich, Brittain Carragan, P. A. Raby, Lieut. John D. Tolley, H. L. W. Boon, Alex. Crane, Stephen Johnson, M. M. Dean, Wilson Call and John Raby, all of whom were wounded. And James and Rufus Morehead, both of whom died in the service. The following are supposed to have served to the close of the war: Albert H. Boon, Joseph Broughton, Wiley H. and John S. Carrigan, Jas. H. C. Duff, John Eslick, Isaac V. Forrester, Enoch Glidewell, Geo. C. Logan, H. D. Lipscomb, W. M. Montgomery Geo. F. Miller, E. M. Ousley, B. H. Rives, John C. Raney; John B. and Robt. F. Steagall, John B. Thomasson, Daniel J., George A., Geo. W., Sr., Geo. W., Jr., Felix M. Daniel N., George H., Felix, Henry A., and Riky Waggoner, Edward D. and James W. Whitman, Wm. A. Woodard, Elijah W. Yates, Benj. Broughton, Green B. Ashby, W. N. Bonner, Isaac Evans, W. R. Evans, Geo. W. Gattis, Sr., J. H. Leftwich, Jacob C. Morgan, Jas. F. Massey, J. F. M. Mills, Ellis Mills, F. M. Moyers, Jas. W. Mitchell, Jas. Marr, Jas. M. Major, Wm. Norvall, John Owens, E. B. Raby, Jos. M. Sebastian, Stephen P. Wiles, John C. Waid, W. H. Webb.
Company C, Fourth Confederate Infantry, was raised by Capt. J. W. Smith, with headquarters at Ridgeville, and consisted of over 100 men. It joined its regiment at Knoxville in July, 1861. It was raised wholly within the territory now belonging to Moore County. Capt. Smith has kindly furnished us the following list of names of members composing his company: James Osborn, James Cobble, Henry Farrar, James Jackson, John Graves, John Steagall, T. W. Steagall, George Shasteen, Alfred Travis, Joseph Rose, Thomas Pearson, T. Roberson, M. J. Brown, Robert Brown and Tom Shasteen--all of whom were killed in the service. And Marion Bedford, M. A. and W. B. Couser, S. Dillingham, John Eaton, Robert Farmer, James Gore, H. Gore, John Byrom, George Damron, H. Nelson, Samuel Rolan, Thomas Raney, H. Rosenberger, J. F. Mitchell, J. Hammontree and Polk Nix--all of whom were wounded. And William Brannon, J. A. Cobb, Enoch Garner, Davis Marshall, Javan Nelson, John Buchanan, P. Osborn, William Runnells, Allen Revis, A. Shasteen, Ed. Rose, C. L. Parks and N. M. Ivey--all of whom died in the service. A. Cummins, James Osborn and James Burt were discharged on account of disability. And Capt. J. W. Smith, Lieuts. G. W. Byron, D. P. Muse and R. Simpson, and Sergt. S. J. Shasteen and the following non-commissioned officers and, privates: S. W. Anderson, D. G. Branch, George and Samuel Brown, W. M. Browning, D. R. Bedford, J. R. Bolin. A. W. and E. A. Cobble, E. Bolin, J. P. Damron, D. Ellis, William Evans Henry Fullmore, J. C. Gobble, Stephen Hanes, Doll Byrom, Henry Miles, Isaac Dannel, Henry Ivey, Tom Graves, Tom Muse, William Curle, Sam Ray, M. Runnells, Doe Runnells, William Shasteen, Elijah and Jacob Shasteen, H. and R. Smith, Ralph Gray, R. Riddle, J. Pardon, Dan Baker, Levi Lawson, Stephen and John Pilant, Sam Parks, Henry Bevell, J. Y. Price, J. Hendricks, James and William Travis, A. J. Parks, J. J., William and M. and C. Tankesley, W. W. and Alfred Burt, E. Brown, Jack Ivey, James Hudgens, James Rodgers, William Smith, George Tipps, Joe Ford, H. M. Bean, M. Holt, N. Thompson, W. M. Tucker, J. Timms and J. R. Parks--all served to the close of the war.
Company G, Forty-first Tennessee Confederate Infantry, was raised in the vicinity of Marble Hill by C. H. Bean, who was its original captain. Sergt. J. M. Waggoner has kindly furnished us the following roll of officers and men: Captain, W. E. Murrel; lieutenants, W. N. Taylor, G. S. Tipps (killed) and H; H. Johnson; sergeants, J. J. Matlock, A. Smith, G. Hall and J. M. Waggoner; corporals, G. W. Davis, R. C. Hinds, J. Hill, W. H. Noah and G. W. Reneger. Privates, Conner Awalt, E. M. Bean, J. W. Bowling, J. B. Benson, Wm. and Abe Brazzelton, Nick Copeland, Fletch Church, James Cooper, H. Church, Jesse and James Ethridge, W. C. Grant, T. H. Hall, Zib Frily, Rich Groves, Richard Hill, Jack Hall, J. F. Hall, 1. H. Hall, T. J. Hise, J. K. Higgenbotham, J. H. Higgenbotham. S. M. Lewis, Samuel Morris, J. M. Mayes, George McClure (killed), Z. R. Murrel. F. M. McCoy, John Morris, J. M. McKinzie, P. J. Noab, M. Powers, H. G. Renegar, W. C. Roach, G. R. Scivalley, J. V. Scivalley, G. W. Syler, J. N. Scivalley. S. W. Smith, Kit Smith, Pen Sandredg. John Tipps, J. F. Tipps, J. C. Tipps, W. J. Tipps, C. M. Taylor, J.H. Vanzant, Izaac Vanzant,W. M. Wiseman, R. C. Wiseman, J. T. Wiseman (killed), M. G. Waggoner, G. W. Wicker, J. M. Woods, W. D. Young, M. V. Wiseman.
Company A, Forty-first Tennessee Confederate Infantry, Capt. James, was partially raised in the vicinity of Charity, and the following is a list of names of those who joined it from the territory now belonging to Moore County. Lieut. H. B. Morgan, who lost his left arm at the battle of Franklin, H. H. Neece lost right arm at Atlanta. Lieutenant L. Leftwich, Henry Davidson, J. C. Davidson killed at Franklin, Mart Collier, J. R., T. M. and Robt. Rees, J. B. Rainey, M. A. Prosser, Wash Cox, Joseph Brock, Nat and M. B. Rees, and Thos. Albright.
The following named persons joined Forrest's escort, which organized at Shelbyville in the fall of 1862, and joined the army at Murfreesboro after its return from Kentucky: F. G. Motley, S. J. Green and W. T. K. Green, killed in the service; W. F. Taylor, received seven wounds; Lieut. John Eaton and Privates J. N. Taylor, T. J. Eaton, D. R. Bedford, D. H. Call, E. Clark, T. M. Dance, M. A. L. Enochs, C. W. Lucas, and Orderly Sergt. M. L. Parks were among those who served to the end of the war without being wounded. This command served under Gen. Forrest during the war, and surrendered May 10, 1865, at Gainesville, Ala.
In 1862 Samuel Dillingham, of Confederate fame, while at Cumberland Gap visited a distillery, and filled a canteen with "Mountain Dew." He corked it tight, and sent it home, and afterward declared that when the next Democratic President was elected he intended to uncork it. Accordingly, in May, 1886, he turned it over to a select committee, consisting of H. B. Morgan, J. Y. Price and W. W. Holt; and on Saturday, June 13, following, due notice having bee-n given, the committee, after appropriate remarks had been made by H. B. Morgan, uncorked the canteen in presence of a large audience in the court house. Drs. Dancer and Taylor inspected the contents. and pronounced it old bourbon, of the genuine article.
The people of the territory composing this county suffered great loss during the late civil war, and lived in constant fear of death from marauding parties and bushwhackers. Being a rich agricultural district it was constantly preyed upon by foraging parties sent out from the armies stationed at these points. It is hardly probable that any county in the State of Tennessee furnished more, if as many, soldiers in the late civil war as did Moore County, or rather, the territory now composing it, in proportion to its population,
Thomas Roundtree, who lived in the log house on the lot where Dr. E. Y. Salmon now resides, was the original proprietor of the lands on which Lvnchburg is located. He laid out the town about the year 1818, and, as the famous beech tree, used as a lynching post, where early offenders were punished, stood over the spring near his house, he very appropriately named the town Lynchburg. Lots were laid out and numbered on the street south of the court house. and sold at public sale; but, no records having been preserved, it is impossible to give date of sale and names of purchasers. For the early settlement of the town and its first business interest, the reader is referred to "earlv settlements." It being a rural town, without an outlet for its commerce, its growth has been generally slow. Lynchburg was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly of the State, at its session in 1841-42. The charter was amended in 1872, by the Chancery Court of 'Moore County, in conformity with an act of 1870-71, Chapter 54, Section 1, and follow ing. It was so amended as to confer all the rights and privileges, powers and immunities conferred upon municipal corporations, from Sections 1358 to 1399 inclusive, of Thomson and Steger's Code. The early ordinances and record of proceedings of the municipal authorities were destroyed in the fire of 1883. The revised ordinances, now in force, were adopted January 12, 1885, and published in the Falcon of January 16, 1885. Within a few years, about the time of the organization of Moore County, the population of Lynchburg more than doubled. The fact of its becoming a county seat gave it an impetus to improve. In 1874 it contained five dry goods houses, whose signs read Parks, Eaton & Co., Hiles & Alexander, J. L. Brvant & Co., D. B. Holt, M. N. Moore & Co.; one drug store, Salmon & Frost; three drinking saloons;.two good flouring-mills, under the firm names of Hiles & Berry, Womack, Dance & Co.; two planing-mills, Spencer & Co. and Bobo & Steagall; one tannery, by M. L. Parks; the boot and shoe shop of M. T. Allen; the saddle and harness factory of Stafford & Cummins; one cooper-shop, by Colsher Bros.; a tin-shop; two wagon-shops, and three blacksmith-shops.
In December, 1883, a fire broke out, which consumed a large portion of the town, including the old Christian Church, then owned and used by the county as a court house. The town has been rebuilt and the business reestablished. In 1867 Womack, Dance & Co. erected a cotton-mill with a capacity of over 300 spindles. It required about a dozen hands to run it, and did a flourishing business until 1870, when it burned down. Then in 1871 I he flouring mills now owned by Dance & Waggoner were erected on the same site.
Dr. S. E. H. Dance commenced the practice of medicine here in 1856, and still continues. And Dr. E. Y. Salmon, whose biography appears elsewhere in this work, began practicing here in 1857. Dr. J. N. Taylor began the practice in April, 1872, and is still in practice.
The societies at present are Lincoln Lodge, No. 50, I. 0. 0. F., which has a charter dated May 14, 1849. Jas. McBride, W. C. Byron, Thos. J. Lindley, J. A. Silvertooth and W. F. Smith, were the members named in the charter. The lodge has a membership of thirty-five, and is in ti flourishing condition.
Lynchburg Lodge, No. 318, F. & A. M., has a charter dated December 5, 1866. The officers named in the charter are J. T. Motlow, W. M.; E. Y. Salmon, S. W. ; and D. L. Enochs, J. W. There are about twenty-five members belonging to the lodge at the present writing, "who dwell together in peace and harmony."
The first newspaper published in the county was the Moore County Pioneer. It was established at Lynchburg in 1872 by James R. Russ, who continued its publication until near the close of 1874, when it suspended. The Lynchburg Sentinel, W. W. Gordon, editor, was established in April, 1874, the first number being issued on the third day of that month. Mr. Gordon continued to edit and publish the paper until December, 1878, when he sold it to Mr. W. A. Frost, who continued its publication until it was burned out in the great fire of 1883.
The first number of the Lynchburg Falcon, R. A. Parks, editor and proprietor, was published February 15, 1884. It is a good county paper, well patronized, and satisfied the demands of the people. The press of Moore County has been ably edited, and has always been, as it now is now, Democratic in politics.
Dr. J. N. Taylor, the present able and obliging postmaster in Lynchburg, has the honor of being the first postmaster appointed under the new administration by Postmaster-General Vilas. His commission dates early in April, 1885. At present writing (June, 1886) Lynchburg contains the following business houses: J. L. Bryant & Co., general store and millinery store-the latter superintended by Mrs. M. J. Morgan; Dr. S. E. H. Dance & Son, drugstore; Parks & Evans, saloon; Billingsley & Bailey, general store; Parks, Tavlor & Co., general store; Waggoner & Houghton, general store; Tolley & Eaton, wholesale liquor dealers, warehouse; Tolley & Bedford, pork, packers; Mcdowell & Son, undertakers; M. F. McGregor, carriage manufacturer; Warren & Co., blacksmith-shop; J .H. Warren, wagonmaker; J. W. Stafford, saddles and harness; W. J. Walker, and George Daniel, colored boot and shoe shops; Wash. Chrisman, colored, barber-shop; Dance & Waggoner, merchant mills; Jack Daniels, distillery; G. G. Mitchell, tannery; Colsher Bros., cooper-shop; Allison&Moore, first-class livery, sale and feed stable,. Tbe town has two good hotels, one conducted by Mrs. McClellan and the other by Mrs. Salmon. There are two good schools and five churches--one Primitive Baptist, one Methodist Episcopal South, one Christian, and two colored churches, one Methodist and the other Christian. The population is about 350. The municipal officers are R. A. Parks, mayor; J. T. Bickley, recorder; M. L. Parks, treasurer; A. R. Hinkle, T. F. Roughton, S. M. Alexander, W. H. Colsher, aldermen; H. R. Blythe, town marshal.
The first house in Marble Hill was built by Allen Johnson, about 1835. It stood alone about ten years, and has been occupied, in order of time, by Allen Johnson, John J. Angel, Dr. Thomison, Mrs. Cole and Jacob Tipps, the present occupant. The first business house was built by Allen Johnson about 1844. About 1855 three other business houses, general stores, were erected by Robert Wiseman and John Whitfield, Wm. Whitfield and Isaac Parks. Also, there were erected two saddlery-shops, two shoe-shops, two blacksmith shops --one of the latter was run by Thomas & John Graves, the other by " Pink " Cole. Over a dozen dwelling houses were built about the same time (1855). R. Richardson & Co. have erected the only business house since the war. There are two churches, one large schoolhouse, two doctors, Drs. Ferass and Tripp. The town was nearly destroyed during the war. County Line contains one distillery (Tolley & Eaton's), one school, two churches, two general stores, a blacksmith-shop and postoffice. Ridgeville contains one general store, one school, one church and a blacksmith-shop. Charity contains One general store, two churches and a blacksmith-shop.
The early settlers of the territory composing Moore County had, in common with the early settlers of all new counties, very meager opportunities for educating their children. No free public schools were then established. The country was a vast wilderness, which had to be cleared and subdued in order to furnish homes and provisions for the pioneer, his wife and children. They had to labor hard, and had but little time which they could devote to the education of their children. There were a few schoolteachers among the early settlers who taught private subscription schools. They would contract with the parents to teach their children a specified time for a stipulated price, usually agreeing to teach spelling, reading, writing and arithmetic--rarely anything more. Those who could afford it sent their children to these schools, and those who could not had to raise their children with scarcely any educational advantages.
As time rolled on, and the country developed, small academics were established at a few villages, and later a meager school system was inaugurated by the State, and finallv the present system of free schools, which promises efficiency in the future, was formulated and established. Among the early teachers we may mention Andrew Walker, William Bedford, Mr. Bird and William Burdge. The two latter taught school on the old Taylor place, near the present residence of Uncle Jack Taylor. William Pegram was a later teacher. The old school-masters kept order and enforced obedience with the rod. Uncle Jack Taylor was a pupil of Andrew Walker, and the latter whipped twenty-four boys in his school in one day--all the boys except two, Uncle Jack being one of the latter.
The Lynchburg Male and Female Institute was chartered by an act of the General Assembly of the State, passed January 24,1870. J. T. S. Dance, D. B. Holt, Dr. S. E. H. Dance, M. N. Moore and J. A. Silvertooth were named therein as charter members of the association. This school opened soon after receiving its charter, and has always been well sustained by the people. It has had an average attendance of from 80 to 100 pupils, and has had as high as 150 at one time. It is deservedly popular, and is doing excellent educational work. The school year consists of two sessions of five months each. It has generally had two teachers; Prof. W. W. Daffron is the present able principal. He is assisted by Miss Rosa Tolley, who is also a successful teacher. This institute is controlled a board of trustees, the members of which are elected annually. The school building, which is large and commodious. is very pleasantly located on the east bank of the Mulberrv, just above the town. This school is an outgrowth of the academy which was established there several years before the late civil war. The building was erected in 1856, and enlarged in about 1866. Prior to the war, and up to the date of its charter, as the " Lynchburg Male and Female Institute," the school was conducted as an academy, and it is one of the few schools in this paat of the State that did not suspend its sessions during the war.
The Lynchburg Normal School was chartered by an act of the General Assembly of the State. The charter is dated June 25, 1885, and the charter members are John D. Tolley, J. T. Motlow, T. J. Eaton, Dr. J. N. Taylor, C. M. Wilson, Dr. S. E. H. Dance, Dr. E. Y. Salmon and M. N. Parks.
This school opened on the first Monday of August, 1885, with about forty-five pupils. Prof. T. W. Estill is the principal, and Miss Lura L. Motlow, teacher of music. The school year consists of two sessions of five months each. The Lynchburg Normal School is centrally located, and is the young rival of the Lynchburg Male and Female Institute, and is making laudable efforts to excel the latter, if possible, in educational work. It has been well sustained and patronized during its first year's work. Persons desiring to locate in a healthy, rural town, with first-class educational facilities, can not do better than to locate at Lynchburg. To show the present condition of the schools of Moore County, is appended the following items from the county superintendent's report for the year ending June 30, 1885: Scholastic population, between the ages of six and twenty-one years--white males, 976; white females, 962; colored males, 140; colored females, 104. Total, 2,182. Number of pupils enrolled during the year-white males, 710; white females, 627; colored males. 74; colored females, 65. Total, 1,476. Average daily attendance-white, 924; colored, 82. Total, 1,006. Number of schools in the county--white, 25; colored, 4. Total,29. School districts, 16; consolidated schools, 2. (These latter are the Lynchburg Male and Female Institute and the Lynchburg Normal School.) Receipts of school funds for the year, $3,348.18; expenditures for the same time, $3,193.13. Number of teachers employed--white males, 17; white females 14; colored males 5. Total, 36.
Average compensation of teachers per Mouth, $25.35. By reference to the foregoing it will be observed that only two-thirds of the scholastic population attend school, and less than one-half are in daily attendance. There are seven frame and twelve log schoolhouses in the county.
The religious history of the territory composing this county began with its first settlers. Among them were pioneer ministers who began to labor in the"Lord's vineyard" when they struck the first blow to erect their log cabins in which to shelter their families. A Mr. Adams, Hardy Holman, John Whittaker, Levi Roberts and Aldrich Brown were ministers and Christian workers among the first settlers, who began their labors, both physical and spiritual, with full faith that God would reward their efforts.
The Christian workers among the first settlers seem to have been Primitive Baptists and Episcopal Methodists. The former erected the first church within the territory composing this county in the year 1812 or 1813. It was a log structure located at the place known as Bethel, a short distance above Lynchburg. Anthony and Thomas Crawford, James Clark, Champion Bly, William Smith and his son, William, were members of this church.
About 1814 a Methodist Episcopal Church, " Wesley Chapel," was built at "Enoch's Camp Ground." And soon thereafter the Allen Church was erected about one and a half miles below Lynchburg. The Baptists established a church at County Line about the year 1820, and Brannon's Methodist Episcopal Chapel was erected about the same time, and later the Olive Branch Methodist Episcopal Church was erected. Revs. Joseph Smith, Lem Brannon and Stephen M. Dance were among the pioneer Methodist ministers.
The Ebenezer Church near Marble Hill and the Union Church about five miles southeast of Lynchburg, both belonging to the Evangelical Lutherans, were organized about 1826, and the church of the same denomination at Pleasant Hill was organized about 1845. Rev. William Jenkins was the principal worker in the organization of these churches. He was assisted in pastoral work by Revs. John and Benjamin Scivally and Richard Stephens, who were prominent among the pioneer preachers. The Waggoners, Scivallys, Awalts and Beans were early members of these churches. Services are continued at these three churches, Rev. L. R. Massey, a resident minister, and others officiating.
Before many church edifices were erected the people of all denominations met at the old camp grounds, near the sparkling waters of some noted spring, and there in the cool shade of the forest mingled their devotions to Him through whose care they had been enabled to endure and overcome the hardships of pioneer life. As the country developed and more churches were erected the camp-meetings were finally discontinued.
The first Christian Church in the county was built in Lynchburg in 1849 and dedicated in June of that year by Elder S. E. Jones. This building stood on the present Public Square and was purchased by the county soon after its organization, and used as a courthouse until it burned down in 1883. The first regular ministers of this church were Elders T. W. Brents and Calvin R. Darnall. Since the late civil war Elder Thomas J. Shaw has been and still continues the regular minister. The first members of this church were Thomas J. Shaw and wife, E. H. Womack and wife, Nancy C. and Eliza Womack, W. P. Bobo and wife, B. H. Berry, R. B. Parks, James McBride, T. E. Simpson and wife, and Sarah J. Simpson.
The Christian Church at County Line was erected in 1877, and dedicated the same year by Elders Wm. H. Dixon and C. M. Crawford. The new Christian Church in Lynchburg was dedicated September 26, 1875, by Elder Thomas J. Shaw. The Methodist Episcopal Church at Lynchburg was established in 1872. The first trustees were J. T. S., J., W. M. and S. E. H. Dance, J. B. Price and B. M. Edens. The ministers have been G. W. Anderson, J. P. Funk, W. C. Collier, T. H. Hinson, G. W. Winn, J. W. Bell and the present pastor T. L. Darnall. When this church was established, it had a membership of about forty, which has increased to about ninety. The Methodist Episcopal Churches now in the county are--the one just described, one at Marble Hill, Brannon's Chapel on Coffee Creek, one at Pleasant Hill, Smith's Chapel, Friendship and Wiseman's Chapel. The Missionary Baptists have a church at Charity. The Baptists, one at County Line, one at Chestnut Ridge and the Hurricane Church. The Cumberland Presbyterians have one church, Moore's Chapel, recently established near Charity. The Christians have a church at County Line and one at Liberty Hill. The Primitive Baptist Churches are Bethel, Harbor and Mulberry. There are three colored churches in the county, one Methodist Episcopal and two Christian.